Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Figures...ugh...




So, I've had the fabric for the girls' bedding for a few weeks now...and I kept putting off working on it...I'm not a very good sewer...I can do it, but I don't particularly enjoy it and I'm probably not that great at it...but I can do it. So, I've put it off for weeks and finally got the gumption to sit down and start sewing today...after all, the girls will be here soon and we have Henry's surgery coming up...

So I sit down to sew...and my thread keeps breaking. Again, and again. And then I take a look at the stitch...it's all "weird" for lack of a better word. I re-thread the machine...I even change thread thinking that maybe I got some cheap dud or something...I pulled out the instruction manual...adjusted and played with every knob and setting...still have that weird looking stitch and my thread is still breaking every inch...into plain single layer cotton. (You can click the pictures to see the stitch...any ideas?) As a note, the photos are just scrap fabric I was using for testing...so no, I'm not quite THAT bad!

Figures.

How is it that stuff like this always happens when you need it most? I may run my little machine to the sewing store to see if it can be repaired and for how much...although the silly little thing only cost me about $100 so I may just end up buying a new one altogether...ugh. This bedding has suddenly gotten awfully expensive...

2 comments:

joy said...

I'm only laughing because when I did some sewing while pregnant with Esther it was abyssmal. Cade banned me from using scissors for the rest of my pregnancy. Yours seems to be a mechanical problem though and not related to pregnancy. I have an extra machine, if you want to borrow it and i just used it and it was working fine.

Tracy Regusci said...

its a tensions issue. From your pictures I cant tell if I am looking at the top or bottom. But basicly if you are seeing bobin thread on the top your tension is to tight and your thread will break. You need to set your tension dial to a lower number. If you are seeing your top thread on the underside of the fabric your tension is to loose, set you tension dial to a higher number. Good Luck!! This week is jam pack for me, we have to be in court for Sam's adoption but next week you could come up here or I could bring my machine down your way and I could help you out?!? Just throwing that out.