Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Heart Update

We had a rough day today. Went to the follow up with the Pediatrician in SLO. He wanted to check up on Henry's heart murmur. I totally thought he was going to say that it was gone and to have a nice life. So, boy was I thrown for a loop when he said that he wanted me to go see a Pediatric Cardiologist. He suggested seeing this Dr. in Santa Barbara. Apparently he's awesome and really spends a lot of time talking things through with his patients. He has the echo machines in his office, so he does the reading right then and there and can give you information on the spot. Otherwise, I would have to do the echo at Sierra Vista, have them sent away for a few days, and make another appointment to get the readings, and possibly another appointment for more review. So, I opted for one appointment in Santa Barbara, than three in SLO.

Dr. Bravo is concerned that the murmur is the same as it was two weeks ago. He said that there are three options: 1) do nothing; 2) give Henry medicine to help his heart close up; or 3) surgery. He was unable to give me any indication of what route we were headed towards. The moment I heard the words "heart surgery" in the same sentence as my sweet five pound baby, I teared up. I know that it's not necessarily what will happen, but it is certainly a possibility. Dr. Bravo took off his glasses, set down his pen and firmly said the following: "Listen. I want you to hear this. This is not an issue of mortality. Even in the worst case if Henry needs surgery, he will be fine and live a long life. He will break windows with baseballs and refuse to eat his vegetables. Do not worry that your baby will die. So, even if we end up with the worst case scenario, it's not that bad." He then went on to say that if we are looking at surgery, that he has definite opinions on who should do it, since not everyone does babies.

I'm reassured by Dr. Bravo's speech, but I still hate the idea of my little boy undergoing heart surgery. He's so little, I can't imagine how much that would hurt. So, I'm trying really hard to keep it together. I keep reminding myself that we don't know if he'll need surgery...or not. He may not. And that would be outstanding. But it's still hard to get that kind of news. Precautionary or not. Our appointment is in SB next Thursday the 19th at 9:00 a.m. I asked him if Henry's early arrival (three weeks early) had anything to do with his heart and he said no. Even if he stayed in utero for two weeks after the due date, the development of the heart has been long established. So, his prematurity has nothing to do with his murmur. That's good to know.

Then we had an appointment with Brenda and she did his newborn screening...which requires cutting his little foot and collecting blood. Poor kid cried so hard. And so did mommy. It was just too much to bear right after our visit with Dr. Bravo. Luckily Andy was there to help. On a stupidly positive note, I have lost another 3 pounds. Sadly, I so don't care. Really doesn't matter anymore, does it?

Henry did provide some laughs as he peed all over Brenda...and I mean, PEE. I can't believe such a little dude can store so much! We about died laughing. It just kept going and going...and poor Brenda screaming the whole time. It was pretty funny.

Anyway, if you can squeeze us in, please pray for our little man. Hopefully all will be okay and we won't need anything that drastic. I've informed Henry that after all this, he better not give me any trouble as a teenager...

12 comments:

Kristen Borland said...

oh, we will definitely pray. that's a great speech from dr. bravo. so encouraging!

Mary Kay said...

Prayers are coming from Brian and me too. I think I really like this pediatrician. He has lots of common sense.

Kate said...

youre in our prayers too. my heart is aching for you and henry.

Brenda Williams said...

So sorry to hear of the stress you're facing. I'll definitely be praying for little Henry's heart to get better soon!
Dr. Bravo is the best! He has pulled me back from the edge of insane worry over my kids so many times!

Jacquelyn said...

I'll be praying but I am curious, are they planning on intervention before he passes his original due date? (or has he passed that date yet?)

Brianna Heldt said...

Oh my goodness I am SO SORRY, I will pray for sure. PLEASE keep us posted; I am sorry you have to wait so long for your appointment!

(Children are amazingly resilient and babies heal extremely quickly from surgery, etc. Small consolation, I know. :( It's hard being a parent. You tell yourself that God knows best, but we moms still worry.)

Jeannett said...

Jacquelyn...his due date would have been this coming Sunday...the 15th...and our appointment is the 19th...so we'd be beyond the date anyway. Don't know much at this point other than what my blog says, so I have no idea what intervention (if any) we're looking at...

Lisa Leonard said...

no fun! matty had a murmur when he was born and it resolved itself before his first birthday. we did the echos, etc. as well. david still has a pretty significant heart murmur and we are waiting to deal with it. i don't think 'routine' and 'heart surgery' should be used in the same sentence, but the doctors told us the same thing as well. hang in there--its a huge awakening to practically realize that we cannot control our lives or the lives of our kids. we need a savior, and we have one--thank GOD!! the love we have for our kids is overwhelming and daily takes me to Christ, pleading for their safelty, joy and most of all their souls. here's a big hug for all of you!!

Carrie Haughey said...

aw, hang in there little man!! mommy and Daddy too!!

Kyle and I will definitely have you in our prayers.

erika said...

I'm sorry you guys, and I'll of course be praying that everything is fine and goes smoothly. Love to you all :)

Rachel Slagle said...

I am so sorry to hear about little Henry. I will be praying that he does not need surgery. I can't even imagine how scarry it is for you, Jeannett - you and Henry will both be in my prayers.

shell said...

i found your blog from briannas-i am an e-friend of hers. my twins were 28 week preemies and i am guessing the heart things is the pda? my hunter had that surgery when he was 2 weeks old and 3 lbs. i just wanted you to know i understand and have been there!! he was a fighter, was back to the normal NICU by the end of the week. it is a scary thing (and he turns FIVE this week and is strong, athletic, amazing!) but just didnt want you to feel alone!