Saturday, October 3, 2009

Does this creep anyone else out?

I sent Andy to the grocery store the other night for a couple things.

He had a hankering for ice cream.

Which, I cannot have.

So, he searched around for something that might satisfy my own sweet tooth, but that didn't also contain dairy.

He found:




Yes, Oreos.

Oreos do not contain dairy.

I didn't believe it either. So I read the label myself:

Ingredients: SUGAR, ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE {VITAMIN B1}, RIBOFLAVIN {VITAMIN B2}, FOLIC ACID), HIGH OLEIC CANOLA OIL AND/OR PALM OIL AND/OR CANOLA OIL, AND/OR SOYBEAN OIL, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CORNSTARCH, LEAVENING (BAKING SODA AND/OR CALCIUM PHOSPHATE), SALT, SOY LECITHIN (EMULSIFIER), VANILLIN - AN ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, CHOCOLATE. CONTAINS: WHEAT, SOY.

Look, I know that oreos aren't exactly health food.

I've never read the label before but I was sure it contained all kinds of chemicals and names I can't pronounce.

But surely it would contain SOME milk, right?

The white creamy centers? Apparently, not a lick of cream.

Butter? Margarine? Come on, there's gotta be some of *that* in there, right? Apparently not.

(There is chocolate in there...but notice it's the LAST ingredient. So, it works.)

This makes me sad.

Kinda like when you find out what hot dogs are really made of and you can never eat another one unless it's slathered in chili and cheese and you just have to mentally bleach your brain of that piece of information for just a few minutes until you are done stuffing your face...

I ate a few last night.

Sans milk.

In a cup. Or in the cookie.

Not nearly as yummy.

Dangit.

4 comments:

joy said...

well, i always figured the center was crisco and sugar. at least it's something sweet you can eat!

Kristen said...

Scary isn't?? I sometimes long for those carefree days when i would eat "whatever" without ever thinking about: ingredients, how it was processed, high fructose corn syrup, MSG, pesticides/herbicides, hormones...the list goes on. (And yes, i miss a good hot dog once in awhile too. But i just can't stomach them anymore either...or any non-organic meat for that matter. Too scary to think about!)

Jacquelyn said...

I guess lactaid milk isn't an option and I know that soy, rice and almond "milk" don't taste good with cookies either. Would it creep you out to know that most store bought mayonnaise doesn't need to be refrigerated. You won't believe me ... so you'll google it ... and see I'm right ... and still prefer to keep your mayonnaise in the fridge like I do. Since the topic was "creepy" ...

Jeannett said...

Jacquelyn-yeah, i always wondered why they could sell mayo on the shelf and you could store it in your pantry...until you opened that paper liner??? Then it suddenly needed the fridge??? I always thought it was strange, but never enough to look into it! And yes, even if you can keep it out, I will still keep it in the frige.

As for soy milk...Henry was also intolerant/allergic to soy...don't know if Lucy is, but frankly, don't really want to experiment. And rice milk...yuck!