Monday, October 22, 2007

Child Dedication

She said, “Oh, my lord! As your soul lives, my lord, I am the woman who stood here beside you, praying to the LORD. “For this boy I prayed, and the LORD has given me my petition which I asked of Him. “So I have also dedicated him to the LORD; as long as he lives he is dedicated to the LORD.” And she worshiped the LORD there.
1 Samuel 1:26-28





Yesterday was Henry's child dedication. It was nice that Pastor Tim knows us individually, because I felt like the prayer was really personal to us and our lives in particular. It made it more special to have it be "non-generic" if that makes sense. It was a sweet time. We had a TON of people in town for the event. Both sets of grandmas, both sets of great-grandmas, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. I guess I didn't really realize how big of a deal it was. I mean, it's a big deal to dedicate your child to the Lord, but I didn't realize it was a big event that the whole family gets involved in! It was neat to see how loved Henry is and how much people really wanted to be a part of the occassion. In fact, we took up 2 and a half pews! That's a lot of folk!


Afterwards, we had a BBQ at the house and a few other friends who couldn't make it to the service came to celebrate and eat. I think we had close to 30 people at the house! People even brought gifts! Crazy.

Hen slept through much of the party, but I finally went and woke him up so that he could visit with everyone. Lucky for me, various family members helped with the clean up and everything went smoothly. Except, of course, for when Andy almost caught the house on fire with his BBQ and now one wall is pitch black. Hopefully the stucco cleans off or we can cover it with paint...

In all the chaos of 13 people trying to get ready in only 2 bathrooms, no one thought to bring a camera to the church, so a big thanks goes out to Debbie Johnston for taking photos! And take special note of Little Guy's hair...yup, spiked it with gel! Hee hee.

2 comments:

Jacquelyn said...

I noticed the hair yesterday -- too cute! So bummed we didn't get to be there :(

Kristen said...

What a special day! I always get emotional at baby dedications - there is just something about it! Henry looks very handsome!